COOK ALONG WITH CHEF KEVIN O'BRIEN
30/03/2021 at 16:00 GMT
ACCESS THE EVENT
ABOUT CHEF KEVIN O'BRIEN
Chef Kevin O’Brien has been baking since the age of five. He started out in the kitchen baking alongside his mother and two grandmothers. He learned the cooking side from his father. In addition to baking,
Kevin was a busy child model and actor, performing on the stage and in a movie. He found himself majoring in theater in college but changed to culinary school after he came to terms with possibly not becoming rich and famous.
The change was good because Kevin has found that baking and pastry is where he can most express his creativity. Having worked for major hotels, bakeries, restaurants, and corporate food service companies, Kevin currently serves as the Executive Pastry Chef for Jewell Events & Catering, The Chicago Symphony Orchestra, and The Lyric Opera, all in Chicago, Illinois.
Kevin has been featured on The Best Chef Network and is soon to make his Food Network debut on Baker Bingo.
RECIPE & INGREDIENTS
Strawberry Pavlova Roll
Egg Whites 4 each
White Sugar 150g
White Vinegar 5g
Vanilla Extract 4g
Whipped Cream 300ml
Fresh Strawberries 250g
Passionfruit (optional) 2 each
Pan Spray A few sprays
1. Grease a swiss roll tin and line with baking paper. Preheat oven to 170C.
2. Beat egg whites until soft peaks form.
3. Add sugar gradually and continue beating until mixture is stiff and glossy and all sugar is dissolved.
4. Gently fold through vanilla, cornflour and vinegar.
5. Spread meringue evenly into prepared tin. Bake for 12-15 minutes.
6. Allow to cool completely before turning out onto sugared baking paper.
7. Spread with whipped cream and top with sliced strawberries.
8. Roll up from long side and place on serving plate, still covered with the baking paper.
9. Refrigerate for 24 hours.
10. Decorate top with strawberries and passionfruit if desired.
• 1 23cm x 38cm Swiss roll pan
• 1 baking paper
• 1 serving plate
The pavlova roll firms up after being refrigerated and cuts easily into slices.